...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Curb Your Enthusiasm

So I'm at this event this weekend. It is kind of a reunion. Of sorts. The lamer sort. With student government people. From college. So, yeah, lame. All from a very large, incredibly midwestern and really white university.

After the main (and incredibly boring) events, a bunch of us go out to dinner. Me and my roommate, who ran campaigns. Three student body presidents. One of their wives. Another two Vice Presidents.

And, begin student goverment geeks, almost everyone went into some kind of legal work.

So I'm sitting next to this guy. African-American. He was student body president in the late, late 90's maybe. Maybe even 2000s.

I ask, "So, what do you do?"

"I work in IT," he tells me, and goes on to describe his job, which sounds interesting and challenging and fun.

"Oh, so you aren't a lawyer like everyone else here, " I laugh. Then, "You realize you're in the minority."

I look around the table and realize we've got three white men, three white women, one latina and him.

He looks at me. "You're not kidding," he says.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home