...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Monday, January 14, 2008

Who Am I?

Who am I? What do I stand for? In what do I believe?

I believe in not giving away spoilers unless someone is forewarned. I believe in scheduling really good movies all day on cable channels, not a mediocre movie five times a day. I believe in the E! News ticker. I believe in snowy nights. I belive in the absolute silence of winter. I believe in the magic of spring. I believe in true love, in the benefits of chicken soup and ginger ale and I believe that crying at television commercials serves to prove you are actually human.

I also believe that someone can put together a plan for universal health care. I believe that people of different races and religions can live together. I believe that a gay couple can raise a child just as well as a heterosexual couple. And I believe that the same gay couple should have the right to marry or "join together" or have their relationship given legal status by their local, state and national government so they can experience all the joys and pains of such a relationship.

No, I am not a divorce attorney.

I believe that everyone is due a good education. I believe that public dollars should be invested in public schools. Not academies. Not parochial schools. That's up to the individual. I believe the middle class is getting priced out of higher education and someone needs to do something about it. I think that state governments need to keep pace with funding for colleges. I believe that kids shouldn't have to go to a community college, then a local college, then to the best state school for a semester or two in order to get sheepskin from the most presigious school in the state. I think they should start there, if they are good enough to get there!

I believe that a woman can be president. I believe a Catholic can be president again. I believe that someone's religion shouldn't define who they are, what they believe is good for the country or how they are going to vote. I believe in the separation of church and state and I vote for people who believe the same thing.

I believe women have the right to choose what they do with their bodies. I believe that the state should stay out of it. I believe the state should also stay out of my decision of whether or not I get to live or die and on what terms I choose to do it.

I believe in drug legalization. I also believe that a Democrat will never be able to propose such a thing. I believe only a Republican can advance such an argument, based on tax grounds, and get it passed.

I believe that I'm a great big bleeding-heart liberal. I believe that my father would roll over in his grave if he heard me say so. I also believe that, just because I believe these things, I'm not irresponsible. I believe we can do these things, think these things, and still be responsible members of society, looking for the best value for our dollar, holding people responsible for their actions and their expenditures. I believe we have to reinvest in our country in order to reap the benefits and I believe that's going to take time, money, effort and sacrifice. But I believe it can be done.

Who am I? I am what I believe.

And I also like horror movies and red wine. And getting caught in the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home