...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sap

I spent last night in front of the television. I'd been a bad girl the night before, drinking too many beer and not eating enough fried foods, in what a friend of mine used to call "buzz maintenance." There is a perfectly timed equation by which, for every so many beers, one must eat some type of fried appetizer. This will, in turn, maximize...well, buzz maintenance. Regardless, I stayed home last night. Turned on the television. Big mistake.

I started watching "Deep Impact" which I could not remember ever seeing before. I thought it maybe came out at the same time as "Armageddon" but then I remember that came out against "Godzilla" so now I'm really at a loss. Maybe "The Core"? I don't know. All I know is that it has a great cast but isn't all that great. I think parts of it were better than "Armageddon"--the sense of chaos of society breaking down was really interesting to me, Stephen King reader that I am. Very little jingoism, too, which was refreshing. And directed by a woman, which I thought was interesting. Anyhoot, I'm watching and watching and they are showing Tea Leoni reconciling with her father and waiting for this huge wave to kill them both and I find that I'm crying. Not the hysterical crying of George's dad dying, but crying nonetheless. Okay. Fine. Time to change the channel.

And what do we have here? "Seabiscuit". Excellent. No crying here. Until the horse breaks its leg. And poor Red. And they come back and win. God, dust in my eyes again!

So, guaranteed weepers?
"Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey". The remake from the 90's. I cry every damn time Shadow falls in the hole and he thinks he's too old to get out and he's just shivering there at the bottom and Sassy tries to encourage him to get out. And then they cut to the family. And then Shadow runs out of the woods and, damn, it gets me every time.

"Rudy". I remember watching this movie for the very first time. I was in school in Vermont, in my apartment the first winter I lived there. We were planning to go up to my friend, Jason's, ski cabin for a night of drunken debauchery and were calling all over town to gather up a group of likely debauchers. I was sitting in the chair in the living room I shared with "Perfect Girl" and "Mafia Son" and "Rudy" on. I hate Notre Dame. I really do. But it was made by the same guys who did "Hoosiers" and "Breaking Away" and completes the Indiana trilogy, so I watched. And I know Rudy's douche. I know. But I remember Jason calling every five minutes or so for updates on the debauchery. And he'd ask what I was watching. Then he'd ask if I was crying yet. And, eventually, I was. And I still cry every single time. And I think of Jason every time I watch it.

I still have pictures from the ski cabin. They'll be used in later political campaigns, I'm sure.

"Hoosiers" and "Breaking Away". Enough said. Except for the time that I was watching "Breaking Away" at an ex-boyfriend's house when he was out and he came home to find me a shivering wreck on his couch, sobbing incoherently about Cutters and whatnot. I'm sure that was a direct contribution to our breakup.

"Out of Africa". Do I really need to go into it? This was the go-to chick flick when I was in grad school. If we were feeling depressed, we'd buy a couple bottles of white zinfindel, rent "Out of Africa", go home and cry. Little did I know that, soon, I'd be crying over the fact that I spent money on white zinfindel.

"Million Dollar Baby". I'm really not overly emotional. This list shouldn't give you the wrong idea. And I never, ever cry in movie theaters. Ever. I think I cried at "E.T." And "The Fox and the Hound". And I kinda knew what happened in MDB going in, so it wasn't like it was a big surprise. But by the end of it, I was full-on weeping. Like someone stole my puppy and was going to sell it for medical research. I think my friend who was with me was a bit embarrassed by me. Like I was the only person in there crying. It was nowhere near as bad as the time my roommate ran out of the theatre sobbing at the end of "With Honors". Whoo boy!

And, I admit it, I do tend to tear up when Liv Tyler says goodbye to Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck gets all weepy. What can I say, I'm easily manipulated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home