...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Monday, January 14, 2008

Realities of Baby-Having

I saw "Juno" this weekend. And it was awesome. Funny, sweet, smart, witty and just generally excellent. And only a bit fantastical.

I caught a bit of an interview with Ellen Page, she who is Juno and who was also the scariest teenager ever in "Hard Candy." Seriously. Scariest. EVAH. Jill Rappaport, who is seriously looking rough these days, asked her about the policital implications of a teenager having a child and exploring the "OTHER OPTION" i.e. going under the knife. Or vacuum. Or both. Whatever.

Ellen's all: "Well, I think we did explore that option and that we dealt with it in a meaningful way." Something like that. I just kept laughing. Because neither she, nor good ol' Jill, would just come out and say the word: ABORTION!!!! Like saying it meant they'd had one. Or something.

I'm not slighting her at all and I think she gave the best answer she could. I mean, she can't be all Katherine Heigl and say how she doesn't understand the choices this girl made and that, in reality, that would never have happened. Which is basically what Heigl said about "Knocked Up." And I agree. That hot chick would never have that dude's baby. Unless he started Microsoft. Or Yahoo. I'd marry Mark Cuban, though. Since he started his company in an effort to listen to IU basketball on the 'net.

I appreciated Ellen's stand on the matter. And, let's face it, they're campaining for nominations. They can't risk the fallout of a star who doesn't believe in the message.

And, in watching this movie, I can see how this particular girl would make the particular choice to have a baby. And I honestly wish that more intelligent girls would make the same choice--to have the baby and give them to a deserving family. Because even intelligent girls make dumb choices every once in a while. Like sleeping with the guy who isn't ever going to get a job, is going to wander from restaurant to restaurant all the days of his life. Because he's born to run, baby. Which is great for his self-image of raging against the machine, but isn't so good when Friend of the Court starts calling for child support payments.

I do wish that they'd shown a bit more of the thought process, though. To go from the lone, sad, pathetic protester informing Juno that her baby has fingernails to sitting in the waiting room and getting annoyed with everyone to deciding to keep the baby? Doesn't necessarily fit that really smart girl and this really smart movie. I know she has to keep it to get to the story. But couldn't we get to a better reason for her to keep it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home