...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Paging Dr. House...

My cable is out right now.

I don't think you understand. My cable is out. On the weekend. During a "House" marathon. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

I've read a book. I've gone grocery shopping. I'm on the computer.

But how am I supposed to get instant information from the E! News ticker about Jennifer Hudson's tragedy or the fact that Jen Aniston's movie made more money than her loser ex's did this holiday weekend? How am I supposed to piece together Cameron's backstory or figure out why Wilson and House are friends in the first place? "Gremlins" was on, man! Corey Feldman, back when he was cute! What the hell am I supposed to do now?!

When I was in grad school, I lived in a town with no cable, for all intents and purposes. We had fifteen channels, most of which were duplicate network channels. I think the only real cable channels we had were ESPN and Headline News. And, in college, I didn't have a television for two years. I still have big blanks in my pop culture memory from 1990 through 1992. I watch "I Love the 90s" and find new information all the time.

But school was a long time ago. And I had other things going on then. Parties down the hall, libraries within walking distance. Now it is just me and the cat, waiting for someone to fix the connection. Waiting for Dr. House to make another diagnosis.

If you can't count on a weekend filled with procedural marathons after the holidays, what the hell can you count on?

2 Comments:

  • I missed out as well, but I don't pay for full cable, so that's on me...finished two books in the last five days...but missing the house marathon and the upcoming burn notice marathon is bugging me...Have a great New Years!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 AM  

  • You, too! Luckily, it finally came back on after two days. I feel like a heel complaining about no cable when people have no power, but I have to have my priorities, no?

    By Blogger Miss Head, at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home