...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Avoidance

I've been having a bit of a hard time with work lately, so I haven't been keeping up on this as much as I should. Employment is completely overrated, except for that whole paycheck issue. I'm getting to the point where, every time the phone rings, I flinch. Because I'm afraid it is for me. And I might have screwed something up. Or missed a deadline. Or forgotten to show up for something. My stomach clenches. I can't sleep. I can't concentrate on much of anything. It all just sucks.

I haven't reached the depths of my first professional job. When I worked at my old office, I used to wonder if I managed to get into a car accident on the way to work how many days that would keep me out. I put post-its over my message light so I wouldn't have to see how many calls I'd received and wouldn't have to call them back. I'd try to figure out what kind of elective surgery I should sign up for to get out of work for two to four weeks. It hasn't gotten that bad. Yet.

I bought myself a bit of a reprieve today. Not much, but enough. Enough that I think I can sleep through tonight. Enough so I think I won't wake up at 2 a.m., unable to sleep any more, thinking of all the things that I've screwed up, things that I've forgotten, things that I've missed.

Until next week.

2 Comments:

  • you could always get preganant then they have to give you 3 months off - then again you would have a kid at the end - but 3 months off? I mean that should make you think for a second.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • oh and this game might come in handy :


    5 Minutes To Kill (Yourself) has an unusual (and somewhat sick) theme, and comes with a huge great big "don't try this at home kids", or indeed "don't try this in the office big kids", caveat. The twisted back story of this point'n'click game is that you are working in an office when a surprise meeting is called for five minutes time (I hate that). Unable to come up with any of the suitable excuses for non-attendance that we all use in real life, the only obvious course of action is to take your own life before the meeting starts. Thus hilarity ensues as you use objects around the office, and bait your co-workers, into doing you some harm [subbed by meltz, JonB & **

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home