...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Say Hello to the Night

Driving to work in the dark. The dials of my car light my face from below. Not a flattering look, I'm certain. Turn on the radio. Free Beer and Hot Wings are on commercial. I switch to O & A.

They're talking about some woman on the train in Boston, I think. Who was getting her ass grabbed. She said something to the guy about it and he said, "I was reaching for the pole." When she got off the train, she found a "very special gift" dripping down the back of her leg.

People were calling in with their similar experiences. I wanted to call in with mine, but I'd gotten to the parking lot by then.

When I was...probably 14, I was at the movies. "The Lost Boys." With Kendra, the new girl from up the street. She was pretty, just moved to town, had mirrored squares with gold veining in her front foyer and knew how to make beds from working in a hotel. I think we were 14. Maybe 15. She must have been violating child labor laws somewhere.

We were at the older theater, if I remember right. Doesn't every town have that? There's the older, run down, kinda junky theater located in a strip mall or off by itself somewhere. And then there's the newer one with plush seats and cup holder armrests. But sometimes the times are better or the tickets are cheaper at the older theater, so you go there.

It was the middle of the day on a weekend, I think. There weren't many people in the theater. I'd been waiting for months for that movie. I loved that movie. I had the soundtrack. I got it on VHS. I could still quote every line, if absolutely necessary.

We went and sat in a side section. There were probably eight seats in the section, with an aisle on either side. The two of us sat down. The previews started. Someone came and sat about four seats over. A man.

The movie started. My crush on Jason Patric started. My obsession with vampires grew. I was enthralled.

Kendra elbowed me. Pointed at the guy down the row. "What the heck is he doing?" she asked.

I looked over. He had his hand in his pants.

"I dunno," I said, and looked back at the screen.

"I'm going to go get someone," she replied. She got up and left me there.

Honestly, I didn't even notice that he'd gotten up and left. I looked up and he was gone. Kendra and security eventually found him at the Fat Boys movie down the hall, sitting near two other girls. He beat feet out the front door and took off in a baby blue old-school Caddy.

We got two free tickets to the movies.

Honestly, I was never really bothered by the fact that this guy was yanking his crank at the theater. Yeah, it is kinda gross. And unhygenic. But he wasn't hurting anyone. He wasn't exposing himself. He was getting off doing this near young girls, but he wasn't hurting anyone.

I suppose an argument could be made that this could just be the first step of an escalating sex predator. But maybe it was some dude who couldn't get off any other way.

In the end, I was just ticked off that my movie got interrupted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home