...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Monday, July 21, 2008

Cross Road Blues

I used to do things ahead of schedule. I used to get papers done days before they were due, so I would have enough time to proofread them, review them, move sections around and polish the entire thing. I used to pack several days before a trip. I used to set out my clothes the night before, checking to make certain I had hose with no snags. I used to make lunch for school the night before.

I don't do those things anymore. A paper is done the day it is due, frequently overnighted to wherever it needs to go. I run to the grocery store across the street, in order to buy some L'eggs for the office. Lunch is a cup 'o soup from my drawer. Packing is done the day I leave town.

While the long, slow slide into procrastination has taken place in my actions, I admit that I've always been a procrastinator when it comes to decision-making. I suppose I'm usually of the "if you wait long enough, you won't have to make a decision" school of thought. If I was worried about telling my father about the ding in his car, and I waited long enough, I probably wasn't going to have to tell him. If I didn't have a good idea of what to do after college, something would come up. If I really didn't want to be dating that guy much, if I waited long enough, that would probably take care of itself, too.

I'm trying to motivate myself to do better. I'm approaching a crossroad in my life--slowly but surely I can see the yellow sign approaching as I crest the hill. Tom Hanks is standing there, still trying to figure out which road to take, after getting back from his desert island. I don't plan to wait there that long.

But, in order to make those decisions, take those actions that need taking, I need to be a bit more courageous. I've been a bit of a chicken about life over...well, for much of my life. I rarely take stands when it comes to...well, when it comes to doing the best for myself and for others personally. I've sat back and let things happen, rather than making things happen. And that needs to stop. Even if the things I make happen aren't the things I want to happen.

So I need to get a little courage. I need to be able to let go of the rope when it swings out over the pond. I need to take my foot off the clutch and hit the gas. I need to look into myself and 'fess up to the things that need to be admitted...and then admit them to others.

Time to pick a direction.

5 Comments:

  • I jumped on that train this summer too...but getting out of law and heading back the class room...what will another grad degree hurt, other than my debt load?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • I am completely and utterly jealous. However, I have two and a half years until I'm done with original debt. Once I finish that? All bets are off.

    By Blogger Miss Head, at 6:19 AM  

  • Don't be too jealous...I still get to look forward to taking classes and completing projects for the next 3 years...but here's to your escape or altered flight plan!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • I'd kill to take classes. I'd love to be the perpetual professional student.

    By Blogger Miss Head, at 2:19 PM  

  • I have missed using my brain for the last 3 years...so I took the ball and ran with the new program...it'll be a nice change. I enjoy the classroom and the work...real life kind of sucks when you're not accomplishing what you want to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home