...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Practicality

I cried in my car this morning.

I remember, when my dad died, one of the women with whom I worked gave me a box of kleenex and said, "Keep this in your car. You'll need it." And she was right.

The car is a very cathartic, yet practical, place to cry. You can be sobbing your heart out about a myriad of issues: a dead relative, a lost job, a broken heart, the fact that you're about to turn 36 years old and have absolutely nothing to show for it. You have the illusion of privacy. And yet, you can still be out, moving around, getting somewhere, getting something accomplished. Even when you're miserable, you can still be moving from one place to another, driving through an ATM, going to work, driving to school.

Even when we can't eliminate misery from our lives, at least we can still live our lives while experiencing misery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home