...Miss Head, if You're Nasty

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Good Deed

I found a dog yesterday. A little Schnauzer. He ran across the street when I turned down the access road by my condo.

I stopped the car, turned on my hazard lights and got out. He sat there, looking at me. I talked to him a bit, as I walked up to him. He just looked at me with big liquid eyes. He shivered in the cold. So I picked him up.

I couldn't believe he let me, but I did. And I put him in the car. I don't think he rides in the car too much. He slid all over the seat as I drove around the neighborhood, looking for someone who looked like they might be looking for a dog. But then I turned on the seat warmer. He stopped shivering.

I ended up taking him to the fire station around the corner. They were incredibly nice about the whole thing. They called the animal shelter, agreed to keep the dog, went out with me to the car to get him. The dog, at that point, really liked the heated seats and did NOT want to get out. We corralled him and I carried him into the station.

He really started shivering when we got inside. It wasn't from the cold. He was terrified.

I cried when I drove away.

During the day, I stopped at the shelter to ask if I could take his picture to post around my neighborhood. He is clearly someone's much-loved pet. His ears were cropped, his coat trimmed. It looked like he just slipped his leash and ran right off. The girl at the desk gave me her name and told me to ask specifically for her, since they didn't usually give people information on the dogs they turn in, for some reason.

I spent much of the day trying to figure out whether my cat would get along with this dog. Whether I could keep them seperate and introduce them to each other gradually. Whether I could get home at lunch to walk him. Whether I knew anyone who could give him a good home.

I called again, later in the afternoon. She told me that he never even made it into the shelter, that the owners called and they were told to pick him up at the fire station. So he made it home safe.

I don't know whether to be happy or disappointed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home